Thinking Thursday: How Can I Switch Gears from Summer to School Time?
I am not the most organized person in the world and I will freely admit that I really slack off during the summer time. I sleep in until about 8 or 8:30 every morning which I LOVE! I am not strict with menu planning and I get very few hot deals because I don’t shop all the stores/keep up with my coupons.
Then August rolls around and it is time to get myself back into gear. I have to get up at 6am with the girls to make breakfast. Of course they are plenty big enough to get ready for school on their own but most mornings they have questions like, “Should I wear this or this?”, “What should I do with my hair?” and so on.
Getting up at 6 am is a little bit of a problem for me because 1) I am not a morning person, 2) I cannot go to bed early and 3) I need 8 hours of sleep to feel normal. I have been a night owl for as long as I can remember. Now I don’t stay up until all hours of the night but my bed time is usually between 11 and 12.
So everyday this week I have been asking myself once again (I ask myself this every year), how am I going to accomplish this? How am I going to continue waking up at 6am and functioning normally?
I know that each day it will get easier and my system will start to adjust. I know that by the time the 2nd week of school starts I won’t be staying up until midnight and will most likely be asleep by 11 instead. I know that my body has adjusted every year before this and I ended up being just fine.
So what have I been doing to try and get back into “school time” mentality?
- As soon as my alarm goes off I am heading straight to the kitchen to make coffee. I know that if I linger in my bed I will go right back to sleep.
- While coffee is brewing I have been unloading/reloading the dishwasher, whichever one needs to be done. (I am afraid if I sit down and wait for the coffee I will go back to sleep)
- After dishwasher I am making the girls breakfast and packing lunch boxes.
- This gives me a good 30 minutes before I sit down and by then I am pretty awake.
Keep in mind this is only day 4 for me and I am not a morning person at all.
Yesterday things got off track. After I did the above things I drank my coffee, took the girls to school and came home to read my bible lesson. I made the mistake of curling up in my soft and comfy bed to read the lesson and I fell right back asleep. This was not good because the little bit of sleep I got made me feel worse. I spent the rest of the day in a fog.
So today I made sure not to lay down while reading my bible lesson.
I wanna know what you are doing to adjust to the “Back to School” schedule. Is it easy for you to switch things up? And if so I would love to hear some pointers you have on changing schedules smoothly.
- Thinking Thursday: How Our Summer Went
- I am Thankful for Thanksgiving Break
- Last Weeks of School = Insanity
- Hot Donation Items for This Week: School Supplies!
- WFMW: Christmas Gift Switch-up