Leek and Potato Soup
Until this past week I had never bought nor tasted a Leek. I actually wasn’t sure what they were like at all, but this recipe had great reviews so I thought it was worth trying. Of couse I did make some changes.
- 3 sliced leeks (whites and some green)
- 6 medium sized potatoes dices
- 2tbs butter
- 2 cans chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup milk
Melt butter in pot over medium heat, sauté leeks for 5 minutes. Add potatoes and sauté 5 minutes more. Whisk in 3 tbsp flour and gradually whisk in chicken broth stirring constantly add pepper, basil and paprika. Simmer for 20-25 minutes until potatoes are tender. Whisk milk with 1 tbsp flour and whisk into soup. Heat til bubbling again
Knowing my family I added more potatoes and less butter. I also added a dash or two of garlic. Since the added potatoes made our soup thicker I chose not to add the flour at the end with the milk.
This turned out so good! We all loved it, even picky Jonah. There were no left overs every bite is gone. Leek and Potato Soup definitely works for us.
- Healthier Cheeseburger Soup
- Hearty Chicken and Rice Stew
- Cooking with Emeri: Dill-less Chicken and Potato Salad
- Cooking with Jonah: Spiced Roast Chicken
- Quick Lunches or After School Snacks