Healthier Cheeseburger Soup
I made this “healthier” version of Cheeseburger soup on Monday night.
The recipe was loosely adapted from this one.
Here are the ingredients I used:
1lb 97% lean ground turkey
1 chopped onion
2 lg Handfuls of baby baby carrots chopped up
4 Celery Stalks diced
2 TBS Butter
3 cups Chicken Broth
1 Cup Water
4 peeled and diced potatoes
1/4 cup flour
1 cup Shredded Natural Cheese (italian)
1 1/2c Skim Milk
Salt, Pepper, Basil, Oregano and Garlic to taste
- In a 3-qt. saucepan, brown beef; drain and set aside. In the same saucepan, saute onion, carrots, celery, basil and parsley in 1 tablespoon butter until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Add broth, potatoes and beef; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt remaining butter. Add flour; cook and stir for 3-5 minutes or until bubbly. Add to soup; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Add cheese, milk, salt and pepper; cook and stir until cheese melts. Remove from the heat; blend in sour cream. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
I followed the directions on the original recipe pretty close however I didn’t saute my veggies in butter, I just added them to my ground turkey as I was browning it. I did use 2tbs of butter when making the cheese sauce. Also we left out the sour cream, unintentionally. We all really enjoyed it! It was delicious, hearty as well as warm and comforting on a cold night.
- Monkey Munch Recipe
- Baking or Cooking for the Freezer and Eating Healthier
- Baked Pear and Walnut Oatmeal
- Homemade Cinnamon Syrup
- What to Eat When Camping Besides Hot dogs?